Friday, July 6, 2007

Harry won't die, will he?


This is a big month for us Harry Potter fans. In just 5 short days, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix comes out in theaters (still looking for a babysitter!). And, even more important, in just 16 days, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will arrive on my doorstep. Brad and I have been arguing for weeks now about who will get to read the book first. I can imagine us both sitting on the couch trying to read over the other's shoulder as Ella destroys the house! Hopefully we won't be that bad.

All along, I have convinced myself that Harry won't die. After all, it's a children's story, you can't kill off the main character in a children's story, can you? But, CNN ran an interesting article (click here to read) that it is not all that far fetched for Harry to die. What do you think, will she do it?

3 comments:

Emily said...

You could take turns reading it to each other and Ella :-)

Becca Clark said...

I'm not reading your link, because I'm studiously avoiding potential spoilers and speculation. My personal theory is that Harry serves as an epic hero, and 'everyman' character, not a Christological figure who would therefore need to be sacrificed (I think the Christ figure is the one who shed blood that others might live in that protection, who placed themselves between humankind and death itself and took the penalty for that action. You know, the Lily of the valley). That and I don't think Rowling has the stomach to kill her own Harry. Enjoy the reading!

Amanda said...

I thought of you today when I drove by a car with the license plate ... "UKARIST" Miss you!