Monday, December 4, 2006

Tyranny of the Urgent

I am not much of a planner, although I do like to have some idea of what is going to happen on any given day. But I have found that in my life lately, no day ever goes how I plan it to go. I will have a list of things to do at work, but a phone call comes in and I find that I have another project for the day. Or, I will be at home trying to fix dinner or clean, and Ella wants to be held, or eat, or for me to read a book to her and I never get to the cleaning or the cooking. Does life ever come to the point that you can plan out your day and actually have it work that way? How do you stop living in the urgent and get to the everyday parts of life? Am I just not good at getting done what needs to go done? Do I need to be more rigid with my schedule?

But, tonight was an example of when it's a good time to set aside your plans. Tonight, I wanted to clean up from dinner, but Ella wouldn't stop tugging at my pants legs. So, I set aside the cleaning and sat with her. We read books, sang together, laughed and talked with MaMaw on the phone. These are the moments that you wish would last forever. And it is then that you realize that your plans are not always the best ones.

No comments: