Wednesday, December 6, 2006

A Funny Little Story

Tonight, I thought that I would share a little story that shows the difference between when I was growing up (perhaps you, too) and today's generation.

Over Thanksgiving, we visited my dad and his family in Savannah, Georgia. Because we had Ella with us, we often had to take our car so that we didn't have to keep moving around the car seat. Well, my sister, Anna (who is turning 10 next week), climbed into the backseat with Ella. She was in the car for a few minutes and then asked, "Heather, what is this bar below the car handle?"

I wasn't sure what she was talking about, so I asked for more information, and she answered, "You know, this lever, maybe it moves something."

And that's when I realized that Anna was talking about the lever to roll the window up and down (we don't have electric windows). When I told her this, she said that she had not seen that in her whole life. The rest of the time that we were there, Anna would ride in our car and exclaim over the lever. She even told us that when she got a car, she was going to "pay extra" to be able to roll the window up and down herself. We didn't have the heart to tell her that people paid extra not to roll up their own windows.

Amazing how much life changes as time goes on, isn't it?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Great story!! Kids these days ...

Andrew & Lisa said...

That's so cool! I wonder if I could mark up the price of my '79 pickup because it has this feature? Hm, I wonder if I could mark it up even more because it comes free of those pesky inside door panels....