Wednesday, June 18, 2008

So, sometimes life makes you a little jaded

In the past few weeks and months, I have noticed that I have been approached by more people asking for food, money, clothes, etc. Even people coming to our door. We usually try to give people at least something, a meal, a few dollars, etc.

Last night, we took a quick trip to the grocery store, and while there, we took a pit stop at the restroom. As Ella and I were washing our hands, a woman came up and asked if she could have a few dollars. She told me that she had three children and would just like to get some bread, chips, etc. for them. She said that she has been asking God for a blessing and thought that I just might be it. I told her that I didn't have any cash, but that we were getting ready to check out, and if she wanted to get a few things, I would be more than happy to pay for them. She said that would be great and that she would meet us in a few minutes at the front.

We waited 10 minutes, and she never came. Obviously she didn't want the food, she wanted the money. For some reason, I felt really let down, betrayed almost. I was more than willing to help her out, but she lied to me. It led me to ask, how many people that we give help to lie to us? Should we still give anyway? What is my responsibility as a Christian?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

At General Assembly 3 years ago a man approached my brother and asked him for money. My brother said he would by him a meal at the Steak-n-shake (where they were standing). The guy said he would rather the "Denny's" down the road, he pointed toward a dark section of town (no Denny's there) Thankfully my bother was smart and said no. Otherwise who knows what would have happened.

I think that offering to buy is good and safe but handing over cash is dangerous (unless you really feel compelled by God to do it in the moment) We just never know and I know I don't want to support someones bad habbits. I think that God wants us to build relationships with people and handing them money doesn't really do that but spending the time to buy a meal or even eating with them does build relationships. Unfortunatly we are women and we have to be mindful of that. There have been many times I've wanted to stop to help someone but have felt that because I am alone or with children It would not be wise of me.