Monday, October 27, 2008

Life never gets back to "normal"

I, of course, have been pretty excited about my new diet/weight loss over the last year and a half. Not to mention becoming a "runner" (I'm still not sure if I can call myself that yet). But, I have forgotten a lesson that I learned in the beginning of my weight loss: Life never gets back to "normal", meaning that I never get to go back to eating whatever I want. Even with running I can't eat dessert everyday, and not measure out portions, and eat "just a little more." The pounds slowly but surely creep back on.

So, does this mean that I am on a perpetual diet? Does this mean that I can never eat what I want again? I guess that the answer is both yes and no. I am on a sort of diet, I have never been, and obviously never will be, the kind of person who can eat whatever they want and keep up the weightloss/maintenance. What I need to do is remember the lessons that I learned, in eating you make choices, a lot of them. If I want ice cream in the evening, then I can't have a cookie in the afternoon. If I want a little more dinner, I should eat a little less lunch, or vice versa. If I am eating badly, it's even more important that I make time in my day to go running (which is pretty hard with a little one). These are good lessons to learn, but hard to live out.

I guess this post is more of a reminder to myself, it's time to get serious, and be healthy! Being happy with who I am and proud of how I look is more important than that cookie that looks so tasty. If you have experienced the same thing and have any advice about staying on track, I would appreciate it!

No comments: