Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Race Day is on It's Way

Well, just a few more days until the race on Saturday. I have a short (2 mile) run tomorrow, and then I'll be resting (from running that is) until the race Saturday evening (how horrible to have to wait until 6:30 p.m.!). I'm not quite sure yet what the best thing to eat is on Saturday leading up to the race.
I feel like I'm ready, although I'm not sure that I'll be able to run the whole time. A friend of mine ran a whole marathon going 4 minutes running, 1 minute walking. I might do something similiar if the hills of Nashville get to me. Either way, though, I feel a sense of accomplishment. When I began in June, I could barely run for 30 seconds in a row. Now, I can run up to 2 miles without stopping, and sometimes even more. I thought that by now I would like running more, but I don't. I still haven't experienced the "runner's high" that people say gets them through. I'll probably never be a marathon (or half-marathon for that matter) runner. But, I'm in a better place than I was 3 months ago. And, running is a pretty efficient form of exercise that you can do anywhere.

I'm already planning my next race. My dad, brothers and I will be doing a Turkey Trot in Savannah on Thanksgiving Day. Two years ago, I couldn't even walk a 5K at that race (I probably could have, I just didn't want to!). I guess that I must just like poultry events :) I appreciate your prayers for Saturday, and I will post pictures when I can.

Ready or not, here I come!

3 comments:

Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

Heather I'm so impressed! The only times in my life that I've been in really great shape have been when I have also been running. I do miss it. How did you train? I would love to know!

Jeff and Joy Scott Family said...

Heather this is GREAT!!! I was just telling somebody yesterday that I was disappointed by my weight. I'd really like to begin to do something about it. I hate running too, but I remember one month of my life where I was dedicated to it and actually enjoyed the satisfaction of improving. I know, one month isn't much. I'm glad you're experiencing success. Maybe you could play for the Colts. I hear they're looking for a corner back!

Heather said...

I have been using Hal Higdon's 5K training, but it's worked just okay for me. I found another one that is a little longer, but seems like it will get you further in the end. It's by Jeff Galloway. If you google either of those, you should be able to find something. It's been good. And, I'll probably just keep doing it, so that I can have some form of exercise in my life (to make up for all of the crap that I eat!).

P.S. Jeff - At least we still have a quarterback ;)