Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I Made It!

On Saturday, September 20, hundreds of people from toddlers to grandparents gathered together to run a race. I arrived a
few hours before the race and watched as children, parents, grandparents and college students streamed into the center of Belmont’s campus to register for the race. All around me, people of all shapes and sizes were chugging water, eating bananas, stretching and running warm-up laps to prepare for the big event, the 5K.

All of my training culminated Saturday night at the 5K. I lined up on Belmont Avenue for the big race (about 20 Trevecca students ran it, too). After some delay, and a few sprinkles, the starting gun sounded and we were off. It was hot, it was dark, and it was hilly. Most of the runners were ahead of me, but I kept running (sometimes, though, I had to walk to keep going). But as I came to the top of the final hill and could see the finish line ahead, I got a new burst of energy. And though I was hot, though my ankles were sore, and although I could barely breathe, the end was in sight. The time on the finish line clock was more than the 14:51 that the winner finished in, but it was faster than I had ever run (okay, it was 34:04). And what began as a dream in June became a reality. It wasn’t ever easy, and it was rarely fun, but it was worth it. I’m already looking toward a Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving Day.






Ella and mommy after finishing the race.














I did it! Yes, I'm really red!

2 comments:

Jeff and Joy Scott Family said...

Congratulations!!!!

andrew said...

Andrew Crimmins! Say hello to him for the SGA crew from Point Loma.

Great work on the run!