Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Life of a Toddler Mom or just a grumpy lady?

So, I often find myself frustrated with Ella, and even raising my voice more than I would like. I especially noticed it after being together all day today. Ella is 2 1/2 now and is starting to flex her independence muscle. She wants to do everything, and she wants to do it her way. This works most of the time, but when we need to get somewhere, or when something needs to be done (or if it needs to be done in a particular way), I find that it's very hard to get her to do it, or to listen. We haven't made a habit of spanking, or using any kind of physical punishment, but are thinking that maybe we need to use a little to get her to respond. I often find myself yelling her name in exasperation.

So, is that what life is like as the mother of a toddler, or am I just a grumpy lady? Those of you who have raised (or are raising) toddlers, what do you think??

2 comments:

Jaime Matthews said...

Ugh, I'm with you. I know I'm getting grumpy when just hearing "Mommy?" makes me roll my eyes and ask a very irritated "WHAT!!!"

I'm learning that I need to try and find my sense of humor, spend little chunks of real playtime with her through the day, plan for things to take 3x as long, and remember that it's my job to raise her to be an independent person. She's on the right track, it just takes a lot more patience than I think I have. That's God reminding us that we can't parent on our own!

So get breaks when you can, and when you hear yourself yelling (even in your head) try to think about why. For me, it's usually because I'm trying to get my own agenda done and not truly considering Noelle. Sometimes that has to be done, and that's a lesson they'll need to learn, too. Other times, though, just stop and join the tea party. :)

We'll make it through, and so will they!

Becca Clark said...

Nope, that's just being the mom of a toddler. There are days when I scream myself hoarse. I have spanked Ari, too, but it doesn't seem to help. For her, giving her a time out on the naughty step works a little because she can't get attention for her behavior and can't get up until she calms down/apologizes, etc.

Yeah, take a break, get some fresh air, count to ten, say a prayer, lock yourself in the bathroom and scream for a minute, any or all of those, and then try again with a little more humor and patience and remembering that this too will pass (when I don't know).

And when B gets home, tell him it's his turn after a particularly hard day and go get your hair cut or something.