Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Shopping

For most of my life, I haven't really liked shopping. It's been mostly because until now, I haven't had the best luck with getting clothes to fit, but now, I think that it's ultimately for a different reason.

Last night, Brad and I took Ella to Opry Mills Mall here in Nashville to get fitted for some shoes that she will soon need. But, while there, Brad and I both decided to look around for somethings that we had been thinking about (pants, a dress, some shoes). As we walked around the mall, I began to get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, and it was getting worse and worse the more stores I went into and the more clothes I tried on, and the more things I found myself wanting to buy.

Now, I don't really like to spend money (I have some issues that someday I'll figure out how to deal with), but then I figured out that shopping for me is a little like eating dessert. I can live without eating dessert, but the moment I begin, I want more. I can eat a serving of chocolate ice cream, and then once I finish, I think, "Now, if only I had a few more bites." More often than not I yield to temptation and go to the kitchen to get some more ice cream (part of the reason that running is so important for me!). I think that shopping is like that. When I don't go to the mall (or Target), I am pretty content with what I have, and find it easier to live simply. But, the moment I walk into the mall and see all of the clothes hanging in the stores, and the sale signs, I begin to get the itch...."Oh, I love that dress, now if only I had a sweater to go with it in case I get cold, and none of my shoes really match, so I might need to get some new ones." And so it goes.

Just like it's much easier to resist the chocolate ice cream (or Nutella, or cake, or brownies, or cupcakes) temptation if I never bring them into my house, or open the freezer door. It's easier for me to resist consumerism if I don't ever make it to the store. Now the trick is to find a way to live in harmony with my temptations..........

1 comment:

Krista said...

I so understand. "What the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't long for" -- the wise words of my mother intoned frequently through my youth that still ring in my ears whenever I, like you, find myself at some shop or another...