Sunday, May 8, 2011

Should You Ever Start?

A few years ago, I wrote a post about shopping and why I don't like it. Mostly it's because it causes something in me that I don't like, covetousness. It makes me unhappy with what I have and long for me. I've been thinking about this same idea in several areas of life and it has led me to the question, is it better to never start.

For almost a whole year, I have not slept more than 4-5 hours in a row. Unsurprisingly, this timing goes back to when my darling Alistair entered the world. I've been doing okay, but this week, after 3 very bad night in a row I looked in the mirror and saw that I had a grayish complexion with very, very dark circles under my eyes. I'm not much of a make-up wearer, not being able to wear it until I was 16 probably contributed to this, and usually just use a little eye make-up each day. On that third day, sad about what I saw in the mirror, I pulled out the make-up bag that I use for special occasions with powder, blush and other various items. I put some on in hopes of looking human for the day. It worked, I was pleased with what I saw in the mirror. So the next day, I decided, "Hey, I looked good, let's try it again." And on Friday, I found myself applying a face full of make-up for the third day in a row.

Is there anything wrong with wearing make-up? No. Is there anything wrong with wanting to feel better about yourself? No. But I wonder if there are times when we begin to do things that change the way that we life our lives, the way that we think about them. Simple things really: starting to drink real coffee, so that I have become a coffee snob turning up my nose at coffee that isn't freshly ground and locally roasted. We started eating locally grown fresh food, and I find very few restaurants that satisfy my tastes and aren't overly processed. After 6 years of being a one car family, we bought a 2nd car, and now can't imagine life with just one. These are all fairly small, but slowly, life begins to change. And perhaps looks a way that we never thought it would.

There are changes that are definitely good, but there are also those that complicate life, call for more of my resources, and make me less content with my life as it is. It leads me to the question, should we ever start?

10 comments:

Krista said...

This post has been rolling around in my head since I first read it a week ago, Heather. I keep coming back to it. A blog comment isn't really the spot to dig into things, but -- thanks for the post.

Claire said...

You have an informative blog. I’ve learned something from it. I do have mine too www.claire-fernandez.blogspot.com... Thanks

Ancora Imparo said...

If we never started would that possibly be stagnation? Never perhaps learning, growing, And leading to this post questioning our underlying feeling for doing something? We are here to learn.. right? I would be proud of myself for noticing that these things DO effect me, life. ect and pondering the meaning for that and "learning".

K.G. Sunshine said...

Very interesting post! I think the person has to find a way to balance what is "right" for them and realize when they have gone too far with a certain thing. Unfortunately, most people don't take the time to think about things like this and end up taking things for granted. You at least appreciate what you have and realize that as important as it may seem, there was once a time without them.

Very thought provoking!

maria said...

Hello, if you like beauty texts see my blog, http://tablonesbonitos1.blogspot.com

hermesonlinestore said...

I support your idea very much and here is a good choice for you no matter what mood you are: just remember to pay attention to the fashion trend of Hermes Kelly Birkin such as New Hermes or the other styles like Kelly Hermes Bag. I promise you will relax yourself. So come on, know more fashion style arround you and make yourself more confidence.

donnation said...

Help tsunami victims
http://helpasia-donnation.blogspot.com/

allen said...

Nice article, Very useful blog!
programming tutorials

myrtle said...

Great! love your post.
Altenpflege

Wendy See said...

Awesome post. I feel the same way you do about consumerism. The more I consume the more I want to consume and never do I feel satisfied! I also enjoy a quality coffee bean!