Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Prayers of a Child


I haven't blogged in forever. Not because of a lack of things to blog about, only for the time to do it :) Over the last few days, we have begun to witness something in our household that I thought was definitely blog-worthy.

Last night, we were eating dinner quickly getting ready to go to the big 4th of July block party at our church when it began to rain. It wasn't a light rain, but it was pouring sheets of rain. Ella, obviously, was very interested in going to see the fireworks and was distraught because of the rain. Suddenly, she bowed her head and began to mumble. After a few moments she said, "I was just talking with God, and God told me that it wasn't going to rain anymore tonight." No matter what we said about the rain she was assured that God would stop the rain to allow her to watch fireworks. We had never seen her do this before, so we were quite surprised.

Then this morning, while getting ready for breakfast, the subject of a sibling came up (it often does as Ella really, really wants a sibling). Again, she bowed her head and mumbled for a few moments. She then looked up and announced, "I asked God for a sister, God will give me one."

So, it seems, we have entered into a new phase of Ella's communication with God. It is amazing to watch her internalize what we, and the church, have been seeking to teach her for 3 1/2 years. She is sincere and earnest in her faith, and I can only pray that this will be a pattern that will continue as she grows older.

3 comments:

Jeff and Joy Scott Family said...

Wow, I can't believe how she's grown!

So, did it stop raining and ...are you pregnant?!?!?!

Heather said...

It did stop raining, for a while. Brad and I weren't sure what to do with her prayer, how would she handle it if it didn't stop raining. It didn't seem to phase her belief.

No, I'm not pregnant, but maybe someday soon.

Becca Clark said...

Well done, mommie!