Thursday, September 6, 2007

The angst of Parenthood

Ella has been in daycare now for almost 3 weeks, and she loves it. Unfortunately, she's only attended one day this week, because the center was closed on Labor Day (but Trevecca and Vanderbilt were not) and then she has been sick this week (now she has a recurrence of her hand, foot and mouth disease and can't go). Well, 1) we pay for her to go whether she's there or not and 2) we need her to go because we're working, taking class, doing homework, etc. A person only has so much sick time that they can take! I'm a little concerned about it all, and wonder if we're going to make it through. Part of me wants to find a way to stay at home, but if I stay home, we don't eat or have a roof over our heads. This is the reason that families stick close together, Ella has a grandma who stays at home everyday (and soon a grandpa, too) that would love to spend time with her. If only we lived in Indiana.......

2 comments:

Becca Clark said...

Give her some time. Kids in their first few wseeks of daycare tend to pick up all the germs that everyone else has built up an immunity to. I think it'll be worth it for you all in the long run for her to go to day care and you to work and buy food!

Emily said...

They say that friends are the family you choose. There might be some grandparents in your chosen family that have grandchildren that live in another place who might like the opportunity to have a wonderful child like Ella around.

I learned that lesson when I got sick and my family was far away. I needed someone to look after me and felt like I couldn't possibly ask someone who is just my friend. But I had no choice, and it was a blessing for both of us.

I look at it as asking the church to be the church. And it helped me become a better neighbor and friend.